8 Fun Things to Do with Your Child
We talk about being in the moment in our martial arts classes. I talk with our Kids martial arts classes about gratitude and being in the moment. I tell them the importance of having fun! In order to make memories that will last, it is important to have fun with your kids! Time goes so quickly. Kids learn by watching us as examples. If we are plugged into technology (smart phones, ipads, computers, etc), our children will mirror that back by playing with a phone, ipad and video games because they want to be just like us. Everyone can agree, it is good to take a break from technology. Here are some ideas of fun things to do with our kids!
1) Make a bird feeder by rolling a pinecone in peanut butter, then in bird seed. Hang from a tree with a string. Instill a love for nature and wildlife. You can identify the birds that come to the feeder.
2) Find a construction site and watch the trucks and tractors. I especially love a site that is demolishing a building, it is so interesting. I could watch it for hours and there are so many opportunities to talk about what you are seeing.
3) Make a fishing pole with a stick and string. Tie a magnet on the end and fish for paper clips. What a great way to talk about magnetism!
4) Use sidewalk chalk to draw a city complete with roads. Use toy cars and trucks on the roads. For the long winter months, fish tank stones are awesome to create a city with on a piece of cardboard. The trucks and tractors can actually move the “earth” to create the city. Helps develop creativity.
5) Make a mystery bag by placing familiar objects in a pillow case. Ask your child to close his or her eyes, feel the objects in the bag and pick out the item you name. Helps kids learn to visualize.
6) Put a sheet or blanket over a table and make a tent, doll house, or secret hiding place. The back of the couch also works Awesome!!! You can camp in the living room for a Saturday night!
7) Play the “message game” at bedtime. Draw letters on your child’s back and have him or her try to decipher them. I loved this game as a kid. It is super fun and helps kids learn their letters!
8) My favorite-We have a Bring your parent to class night at our martial arts school. I love that class. The Kids teach their parent to do a technique and then demonstrate for the class. It instills so much trust between the parent and the child!!!The amazing bonding that takes place during that class is AMAZING!!!! And the laughter is sooo contagious!!!!
What games can you think of? Live Your TOP Life!!!